Monday, May 14, 2007

I Don't Recognize Myself

This weekend I was someone other than myself. I did things I do not do.

Friday, I returned to Home Depot (twice in 2 weeks- as opposed to the twice I've been in 6 years) to purchase supplies in order to PLANT VEGETABLES AND HERBS IN POTS on my fire escape. I have never done that before, no experience, no background in it. So I selected already sprouted oregano, parsley and basil for one pot, and "Cherry 100" brand cherry tomatoes for the other. My goal is to buy some bufala mozz, harvest my crops and have an instant caprese salad. BENE. The pots look great and I lovingly water them every day and pat the soil around their stems for no good reason. Friday night I went back out after potting the plants, got a slice of vegan spelt crust pizza, and saw that Brand on the Brain show that Kinkle writes about below. It was really an incredible experience to behold. I am a very high stimulation person and I like when there are a lot of elements to one thing, so this vibed at my level! Crispin Glover shouting ROMANIA ROMANIA ROMANIA...the unreal castrato, who was a lug looking like Uncle Vinny, opening his mouth and the voice of a pre-pubescent girl coming out...Foley artists making the sounds of leg bones breaking with celery and banging sticks with men's shoes duct taped to the ends on the floor to imitate people running down wooden stairs, and squishing wet rags to create the sound of paint being brushed on the wall...and a full conducted orchestra supplying the music to a beautifully shot, frenetically paced b& w silent film. All of this in a beautiful, opulent old theater too. I am so glad Kinkle invited me to this, she is pretty good at picking out weird stuff that I will like. One of the points of this blog is to give myself and others ideas of cool activities to do, so this filmgoing experience fits right in here. It will be playing at the Angelika v. soon so go and see for yourself! And post about it!

Saturday I found myself completely pulled into the undertow of a marathon of America's Next Top Model. I normally do not follow this show, I normally NEVER spend an entire day sitting in watching a marathon of ANYTHING, I don't know what happened here, that is not me. I guess the girls are pretty and I got hypmatized by them. This went on and on. And ON. And I won't even be home this Wednesday to see the winner get picked on the finale. All that viewing for naught. Does anyone know when they will re-run the final ep? Aw fug it.

Sunday I again turned into Bizarro Nicole. I painted my kitchen for the first time in all the years I've lived here. The color is Tang. Come see it. It's delicious and evokes fruit and juice and cocktail mixers and thirst quenching and Florida sunshine and sunflowers. Glorious. I also cooked healthy foods including a type of bean that I hadn't yet had, with the highest protein to carbohydrate ratio of any bean, and made my own salad dressing. This is not uncommon though. I added on to that with a first time in my life brewing of multiple tea bags to make a whole pitcher of ice tea. I am sure you are all scoffing and probably have full backyard vegetable gardens, a completely and tastefully decorated apartment, and your own brand of ice tea in your grocer's refrigerator. Whatev. I do plenty of stuff you all don't do. I am so busy doing all that stuff to have gotten around in my life to learning how to brew tea and painting my apartment. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Did anyone see the Sopranos? DAMN. I did and they've got me the past two weeks with the shocking plot machinations.
So this weekend had its own theme- what-live outside the box? Get bored and do stuff you never usually do? Do the thing you think you cannot do? What are you waiting for? I don't quite know, I just know that I am pretty proud of my actions and will take more pride in reaping the benefits of my efforts. mmmm tomateys!

Nicole

No comments: