Wednesday, June 6, 2007

J. Fruit Says...

Work sent me to Acapulco (it's a toilet on the Pacific coast--it's dirty with a rough surf--so avoid
it if you can). On the way back, I stopped off in Mexico City. It's a pretty cool town worth checking out. The subway there is amazingly cheap (less than $0.20/ride) and gets you to where you need to go fast (never waited more than 5 minutes for a train). San Angel, Zona Rosa, and Polanco are the cool neighborhoods to see so of course those are the ones that I hit.
The most serendipitous part of the weekend was seeing a free Shakira concert in the Zocalo (a huge plaza that probably had over 15,000 in it). I asked this other tourist couple (the bf was bilingual) what was up with the security and he told me they were prepping for the concert later that night. I showed up late because I knew that I would be able to see easily from anywhere in the crowd because Mexicans are short. I don't mean to generalize but a) this half-Mexican I met in Miami said those exact same words about his Mexican friends and b) I was a full head taller than everyone else at the concert and I'm not even 6'. They compensated by blocking my view with these cardboard periscopes (with 2 mirrors) that were sold to almost everyone in the audience. It was almost as interesting to witness the crowd as it was to see the concert.

No comments: