Wednesday, June 27, 2007

What Did I Do Last Week?

Some of you let me know that you didn't send your weekend posts to me because I didn't call out for them as I usually do. First of all, I am glad I am on you guys' radar enough that you are thinking about it even if I don't mention it. That warms my brittle heart. Second, in the future, take it one step further and send them anyway even if I don't ask. I ALWAYS want them, no matter if I find a minute to ask or not. Ya hear?? Third, let me tell you about my week last week and you can learn why I didn't shout out to you to send me stuff.
Last week I had a friend come over to do computer stuff with me as a barter for some of my expertise (YES, I have some!). I had hotly been anticipating his visit, so of course once he arrives at 9am we discover that my computer has died. All his efforts to resuscitate it were for naught. That tower is OVER. Then I went to work. Upon my return around 7pm I saw some blood on the floor in my hallway, and began to notice other spots of it around the apt. It did take me a while to stumble upon a large pool of dried blood and to notice it was coming from my cat Mapo, in her rear section. EMERGENCY! I took her to the expensive emergency vet in Carroll Gardens and $1000 later I learned she had a rectal prolapse, plus may have asthma, or cancer, how wonderful, and additionally a mass was found in her sub-abdomen. Do any of you know I am going to Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay in July? THIS is no time for the forces of nature to overwhelm me and my cat. She came home with a plastic funnel on her head. Poor tiny baby.
My subletter for my room who was going to both water my plants and feed my cats decided around this time to pull out of our deal, and has yet to be replaced. Did I mention my computer died, making it difficult to get on Craigslist and re-post? Wow. Then guess what!! I developed laryngitis, so at this point I could not email anyone OR call anyone on the phone. My cat went back to the vet for round two and they decided to open her up to fix the prolapse, remove the mass, and bill me another $1000. Does anyone need any health counseling or professional organization, because I need some extra diz-ough! Jumping back and forth between problems, as I have been doing all week, the people at Mikey's Hook-Up in W-burg are going to back up my files so when I return from South America, I can buy a new tower and get all my stuff transferred onto it. At press time, my laryngitis is cured. I must say, I handled myself remarkably well during this shitstorm of troubles. I didn't get terribly stressed out; I just applied myself heavily to reaching solutions, leaned on a few friends, and learned that Burger King will sell you five full minutes of internet access for a dolla.
So that, friends, is why I did not reach out for your weekend details. I will accept sympathy cards and nominal donations.
Now then, about my trip. I am going to have my friend's laptop with us and I would like very much to have you all continue to send me your weekend reports each week in July, and I will contribute my own, except mine will be about Latin weekends and not NYC ones. Deal? I really want to keep in touch with you folk whilst I am away and this would be a great way to do so! So please write to me, send me info, and I will post it in between spanish class, tango lessons, winery tours, and bites of steak!
Adios!!!

Nicole

No comments: