Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Kinkle (from Glasgow this week) Says...

Ok here is my weekend. I've been in Europe for a couple weeks now. The hubby is working on a record in Hamburg for a band from Copenhagen and we flew into Copenhagen before leaving for Germany. Got it? Anyway after a nice few days adjusting in Denmark once I got to Germany I realized I really don't like it at all. German people are kinda remote and the place they set up for us to stay was to put it mildly a dump. After a few days there (and a couple days obviously being in the way at the studio) I was really dying to leave.
My friend from Glasgow and her husband offered to pay for part of a ticket for me to visit them and I jumped at the chance. On Friday it was finally confirmed and I took the baby around the neighborhood to see this crazy German baroque church, did about 5 loads of laundry (up & down 3 flights into the basement where you have to use this crazy key to turn the machines on & can only wash OR dry one load at a time) and bought the obligatory cheesy souvenirs.
On Saturday we woke up at the crack of shit to go to the airport which was a major drama.. apparently I needed to print OUT a ticket for the baby even though I could be eticketed.. something the guy I talked to on the phone didn't mention. The unorganized ticket counter girl was like "this is a REAL problem." and "They TRIED to call you" despite the fact that I never gave anyone a number! Add to that typical terrible two behavior for the child plus ANOTHER drama about the fact the baby's last name & mine aren't the same on the passports (so much for not changing your name, ladies!) I FINALLY got on the freakin flight. DJ Spooky was boarding the same time as me which, because he is from NYC & I had met him briefly at a party, vaguely comforted me. The stewardess was really nice (she said any time you travel with a toddler you lose 5 lbs & she's right!) and I sat next to this totally awesome guy from Norway who is in the band Data Rock & had just played a festival. He both had a kid and was in the music industry so we had lots to talk about & he was really chivalrous & carried my bags after the flight.
We had a layover in Amsterdam which had a great airport where you can drink and smoke easily then I went on to Glasgow (another nice seatmate) & my friends picked me up. We just kinda hung out at the house & ate & I met their kid who is now 7 (i saw him last at 4) so it was fun and nice.
Sunday we dropped their kid off at a birthday party and Kingsley, my boy, had his first taste of cotton candy. He was enamored of the bouncy castle they hired but the kids were way too old and active for him to jump in. We left and went shopping because I packed a bunch of shorts for him and it's been really chilly here so I bought him these cool khaki cargos with embroidery on the back. We left to pick her kid up and then took him home with a big ol' goodie bag from the party.
Sunday night my friend's husband announced we were gonna go to Devo but they had a plumbing emergency so she ended up going with me instead. We spent quite a bit of our youth running around the concert circuit so it was like old times, even if we had no interest in making out with anyone in the band. We got kicked out from sneaking upstairs and when it was over (we got there pretty much 1/2 way through) we went to some random pub where we smoked hash off two old Glaswegians and had a pint before going home. SO much better than staying in Germany, believe you me!

No comments: