Tuesday, August 21, 2007

J. Fruit Says...

The weekend got to a slow start when I had to drag some friends out for one of their bdays. I drank a little much and stumbled home. (Dragging people out is never the way to start a celebration.) It led to a late start getting on the road to Richmond. Got there late but we kept our plans to hit VA Beach. It was a nice beach but there wasn't much by way of restaurants or culture. Southern VA loves it some haunted houses though. Shockoe Bottom was a really cute neighborhood that I enjoyed hanging out in (there was a haunted mansion here too). It's all the more impressive when you learn that it was almost 6 ft deep underwater 3 years ago!!! Saturday night I had dinner at Havana 59. Its stylings were impeccable if the food left a little to be desired. Check it out at night and, if you can look beyond the non-Cubans there, you might think you were actually in Havana. Grab a deck of cards on the table and have a great time like we did playing Spit. The next day we had brunch at Cafe Gutenberg (also in Shockoe Bottom). Then we went down to the James River (which cuts through Richmond). It was pretty cool and decently clean. I would've had a swim if I were prepared. Apparently, we could've gone kayaking on it as well. Instead, I dipped my feet in and stared at the finely chiseled guys taking a hanging out on the rocks. After struggling back home through much traffic (though not nearly as bad as the way down), I arrived at home suspecting I had been burglarized. It took awhile to realize that I was very drunk Friday night and flew out on Saturday morning such that I just didn't notice that I threw my mail, clothes, and a large abandoned sketch pad I picked up on the way home on strewn all over the floor. Um...maybe I should give up my boozing.

No comments: