Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Charlie Says...

Friday I left work early to get home to pack for a weekend in Boston. My friend was driving so I was excited not to have to spend four hours on a cramped bus. One thing she had forgotten to tell me was that her roommate was coming along as well, whom I have dated years before. Which at this point her and I are like oil and water. So i survive the drive up, just sit in the back seat and stare out the window. Finally we arrive in Boston about 2 hours later than I expected, mostly because of traffic and a very annoying "lets sit and relax at Wendy's" type of dinner, which I didn't eat because it was fast food and all i wanted to do was keep driving. So we get there, my friend drops me off at my other friend's apartment where i'm staying and have previously lived years before. We decide to go out in Cambridge near Harvard and my buddy Todd decides he will drive us. We walk around the corner to the car and Todd decides he doesn't want to drive us anymore and goes back into the house. Whatever we just walk to another bar, have a great time, day is over. The next morning is my friend Nick's birthday. The plan is to go to the beach in Gloucester. Now if you don't know me, I never ever ever go to the beach. In fact you may hear me say that I hate the beach. But I'm on this new kick to experience things again for the first time, so I say what the hell I'll go and it's Nick's birthday. So we're at the beach, it's beautiful, i go in the water, this is probably my first time in the ocean in like 7 years. That's the other thing, i hate swimming, whatever i'll try it again. So i get in the water it's freezing but i get used to it and have a great time swimming. Get out of the water, it's sunny and nice. There is a nice breeze coming off the water so you can lay there and not feel like your skin is on fire from the sun. At this point i'll fill you in on another hate of mine. I can't stand the feeling of the sun on my skin. Like prolonged massive body area exposure. So this coupled with my lack of swimming and visits to beaches also means i haven't had my clothes off under the summer sun in years, many many years. So with my virgin pasty skin and a nice cool breeze i don't realize that i'm cooking from the outside in. We have a great time at the beach and head home. We get home and start to clean up because for Nick's birthday dinner, someone decided to have a "fast food pot luck." So it was determined that everyone would go out to any fast food joint and purchase 10 dollars worth of food and then bring it all together for a big dinner. I withheld from this activity for two reasons. First if i had it would have made me so sick and the food was gross. Which after eating many of my friends felt real bad. Second reason is; my skin was on fire. I got home and was completely red. I let my friends go to the dinner and i make my way there eventually after i get some extra strength tylenol and some spray stuff to soothe my skin. After dinner the plan was to go to a bar and then a party at a old coworker of mine's house. While waiting for everyone to get together to go i completely passed out on the couch. Not so much on the couch but over the arm of the couch with the air conditioner blowing cold air on my back. So i missed out on fun saturday night. Well i guess that was the weekend. It was fun though. I now know that i do like the beach and will probably go back and i now wear sun block from head to toe even if i don't leave the house, just as a precaution.

No comments: