Monday, October 15, 2007

My Weekend

Friday night I ate dinner, took a nap, and then I went off to work. I am currently casting a tv show for the Lifetime Network (hee hee I love it!) involving matchmaking and we are hitting various locations looking for single men for this project. First thing of note: NO KIDDING HERE, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THIS BECAUSE IT IS VERY UNUSUAL: My two casting assistants, who I just met, who do not know each other, who were separately recommended to me by people at my office, are named Allison Hope and Alyson Faith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, how can I NOT do a good job here with Hope and Faith on my team. They are also both singers and are each highly entertaining. We are having zero trouble running up to guys and demanding, "Are you single?" In fact, we were in Sing Sing karaoke bar, and Allison Hope decided to sing "Hell is for Children," and she totally worked the room, walking up to everyone, making little jokes between verses, and then doing this remarkable thing: while on the mic for her song, a hot casting prospect walked in and she went up to him and asked him, amplified, "Are you single?"
A bit of a phenomenon occurred when she did that. I heard her say it, and then I observed a physically visible flinch in the room coming from all the women. It felt like a combination of, like, the women thinking how declasse it is to ask such a vulgar, forward thing, like where is this girl's GAME, to come right out with a desperate sounding question like that, and also like "Can you ask that?", like they all heard the holy grail question aloud and couldn't believe it could be asked, and were stunned and liberated to hear it actually happen, and involuntarily jumping at the notion that maybe they too could cut through all the time wasting and just sort the singles from the doubles! Incredible. It turns out that the guy was not interested in being on the show, mirroring what would probably happen if the ladies worked up the nerve now to just ask that question- the answer would always be no, or not interested. Sigh. Anyway, it was very uplifting to learn that just about everybody around you at any given time is VERY INTERESTING! Each guy we spoke with had traveled and lived lots of places, or was the fifth generation with the same name in a family line of farmers, or spoke 3 languages, or had a really cool job, or had just taken his first ride after a terrible motorcycle accident a year ago, or is a professional hula hooper. My advice to you all is to get talking to the people around you. TOTALLY flying in the face of what I previously believed, the surrounding folks stealing your barstool are actually pretty developed people. So we rounded up a bunch of excellent single male candidates, had a shot of whiskey and headed home.
Saturday night: I went out to dinner with my chums Meg and Lisa, at a hot new NYC resto called Spitzer's Corner, not to be confused with Schiller's, also a hot NYC resto but not new. The decor is really good, I think- it's all big wooden communal tables, large glass windows that tilt out into awnings, long horizontal lines, wood walls that looks like a scandinavian sauna... cozy but more industrial than quaint and you wish they put a boxy fireplace right near your table. But you don't need to worry about a fire because Spitzer's is the restaurant of hot. Every customer, hot, hot, hot. And the beer list is amazing!! Full, long, varied, flavors jumping out at you from the descriptions of the beers...mmmmm and you should go here for drinks even if you don't eat. There were people playing cards at the table, but this place is much more chic hotspot than Knights of Columbus Hall. The food was also great, we all liked our meals, and Meg's potato gratin was a standout even though it was merely a side. Before we got seated, we were waiting for Lisa to come in from Williamsburg, so we were looking around the place and our eyes spied outside the large windows a very exciting prospect! There was a temporary Steve Madden liquidation shop erected just across the street, inside which we could vividly see people going crazy throwing shoes around. Attracted like magnets, Meg and I left our name and sped across the street. NY ladies, this is the type of tip you wish you heard after it's too late so listen up: the shoes are $20 a pair, 2 for $30. This includes boots! WHAT! Yes it's true. Bring a friend if you have one, so if you both only find one pair you like, you can have one of you pay for both and get em for $15 each. The shoes were mostly summery but at these prices you must get them anyway and save them for next spring, or take them on your winter vacation. I got a pair of dark brown wooden platforms with a jade patent leather slingback, and also a pair of electric blue patent all purpose flats that are happily cutting into the back of my heels right now! Worth it!! The sale goes on til end of month I believe so roll on over there! Also, if you are a Sasquatch, they had more selection in the size 10 and 11 dept than anywhere else, so don't worry your big feet about it! After the spree and feed I went off to cast more single men. Another note for you ladies on the hunt out there: all the fellas in the karaoke bars I was looking in are not yet 30. Don't go in there for that reason if you are looking for men over 30. Just go in to SING!!! Always fun. People tear it up too, in the private rooms. I was looking thru the window of each one, hunting down a hottie I saw go downstairs that I thought would be good for the show, and I saw people leaping around on the couches, two girls holding wrists and spinning, lots of arms heads and hair flinging around...its all in the name of hipdom but at least people are abandoned of their normal too cool for schoolness you usually see. In fact they get so buckwild that there is a list on the wall of infractions that you can be heavily fined for! Smoking commands a $200 fine!!! Only you can prevent forest fires!! Where was I? Oh, right....caught up in the spirit of matchmaking, I had a male friend of mine come out to work puposely to meet one of my casting assistants, and they hit it off! No wonder I am kicking booty butt on this job, I am a natural born matchmaker!!
Sunday I slept real late after this bit of working at night. Cleaned up a bit, tried to give clothes to my roommate, she tried to buy some shirts for me, but neither end worked out. Then I went to Kuntry Karaoke at Rodeo Bar to cast some more. There are some good-ass country singers out there. My casting assistant Alyson Faith got up and sang, and the guy who runs the party came up to me afterward to tell me how good she was. I have provided a link to her website in the right hand column if you wanna see her deal. One bowl of texas chili with huge beef chunks went in the belly. Then I found this guy DJ, who turns out to be an opera singer! SCORE! (for the show I mean!) I asked him if he knew about Opera on Tap, and he said that he indeed performs there so I think I am gonna go on down and see him sing one Thursday for free in Freddy's BackRoom Bar- you are ALL invited!! I also met A. Faith's friend Stacy Styles- a prominent DJ whom I had heard of before but never seen. After parting ways with my team, I got into a cab and there were three DJ Stacy Styles stickers plastered on the cab wall. Unbelievable! I had just walked away from her!
Then I got home, fed my Donkey, looked at Dlisted.com, and hit the hizay. Cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see your post is from a few months ago, but I had to comment. I was searching for DJ Stacy Stylez' upcoming events and found your blog. First off I enjoyed reading your essays. Second, I am so jealous you got to hang out with Stacy Stylez. We're such big fans of hers and would give anything to be THAT upclose and personal with her. Sounds like you have a lot of fun with your job and personal stuff. Congratulations on your successes and HOLY COW you met Stacy Stylez one on one. Keep up the blogging.
Tessa

Nicole said...

thanks for the nice props to both Stacy and myself! i sent your comments her way!
x